[thelist] Statistics (download speed)

Lauri Vain optima at hot.ee
Sun Mar 11 01:13:33 CST 2001

Hello everybody,

How does the behind the scenes work by PHP exactly go? Does the PHP thread
remain active so long as the information is sent to the visitor? Or will PHP
parse the code and send it to Apache which will send the data to the user
itself?

The reason that I'm asking this is I'm writing a statistics add-on for one of my
sites and was wondering whether the code below would give the time in which PHP
parses the code or in which the data gets streamed to the user.

    $time_one = microtime(void);
    fpassthru($file);
    $time_two = microtime(void);
    // + here will be the code to calculate the difference
    //    betweeen $time_one and $time_two

Would I get information about my server (parsing time) or would I get some
information about the requesters internet connection (how fast will my files get
to the user). Both would be pretty important!

PS  What are the advanced statistics programs out there? I wouldn't mind seeing
a sample report.

Thanks in advance!

Yours,
Lauri