[thelist] Web sites to learn from

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Mar 13 12:30:10 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Marcia wrote:

> Just wondering if any of you could recommend any sites
> that have a good layout and generally good web design
> techniques? I would like to visit them to learn from
> them :)  These could be any site that you found that
> you liked the layout, color scheme, etc.

stormwerks.com (or more appropriately the sites linked from it) was a big
inspiration to me when I first found it about three years ago.  It's still
good.  That was closely followed by fray.com.

If you trawl domain names off the list, you'll find a lot of good sites as
well.

untopia.com might also be worth a good look, though its creator was not
strictly a professional Web developer when I last heard from him.

Gems can be found at astoundingweb.org.

The features that run at nationalgeographic.com also have a lot to
recommend them (though the style of presentation is tightly controlled).

Communication Arts (commarts.com) features a site every week, and you
might be able to find gems here as well.

For me, though, the process works in reverse.  I let the good stuff come
in its own time, and when I find it I take a closer look.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large
persist1 at io.com

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."
"We will disguise ourselves as a cow."
"Oh!" (giggles) "That was it exactly!"