[thelist] Speaking of detecting: howto detect Javascript on/o ff?

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Wed Mar 14 11:35:05 CST 2001

I actually use BrowserHawk 2000 to check that the browsers support
Javascript 1.2 or higher.

If this test isn't passed, then I don't even use the <noscript>.

So the <noscript> will check to make sure that javascript is turned on.  The
page I redirect to actually provides instructions for turning javascript
back on.

And do you know where I got the instructions from?

Boo.com!  :)

They had a nice javascript detector that I copied...

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com

-----Original Message-----
From: James Aylard [mailto:evolt at equilon-mrc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 11:37 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Speaking of detecting: howto detect Javascript
on/off?

Ryan,

> By the way, the following code will check for javascript:
>
> <noscript><meta HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;
> url=/NeedSomething.asp?error=nojavascript"></noscript>

    This is a good, compact way to do it, but my understanding (and the docs
seem to confirm) that <noscript> was added with the release of Netscape 3.
Both Netscape 2 and IE 3 don't support it (AFAIK) and so will process the
meta element, despite being javascript-capable browsers. Of course, if the
level of functionality required by the script is such that those browsers
can't handle it anyway, then maybe treating them as javascript-disabled
might be reasonable.

James Aylard