[thelist] Speaking of detecting: howto detect Javascript on/off?

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Wed Mar 14 16:52:46 CST 2001

james,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: James Aylard
:
: > all of this redirection-detection got me
: > thinking.  what if there were a way to
: > detect without a redirect?  how would one
: > do that?  what i'd do is swap an image
: > (well, not really an image, but i think
: > you'll understand where i'm going with
: > this) and pass it on the server that way.
: > something like this:
:
: Very interesting. Borrows a page from doubleclick,
: et al. ;)  What's not clear to me (and I'm probably
: superimposing some preconceived notions on this) is
: how you actually use the img src value in practice?
: Can you give a scenario with a code snippet or two
: to clarify?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

based on the rest of this thread which i've been keeping my eye on you seem
to be asking how this can be useful.  well, obviously it wouldn't be of any
use in the first page you encounter, but any subsequent page you serve could
take this value into account when constructing the page to send to the
browser.  this wouldn't be of much use in the case where you aren't
maintaining some sort of session state though.  where it would be really
useful is for determining prior to login whether a user had js enabled or
not so you could tailor your administrative tools behind the login to their
browser needs.

thanks,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden