[thelist] Quickie rant about Verio.

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Mar 15 16:36:55 CST 2001

Scott Dexter wrote:
> > Gotta love it when the registrars sell their customer's information...
>
> Actually, it is public information, found in the whois database.
> Unfortunately, marketing teachings leave no stone unturned....

True, it's public - but I find it interesting that Verio would use
techniques on dotster-registered domains that they are *legally
enjoined* from doing with register.com domains.

http://www.adlawbyrequest.com/inthecourts/VerioInjunction.shtml

Traditionally it's been taboo to use the whois database for marketing
purposes, that it is being used is inevitable, but it don't mean I can't
get huffy about it. ^_^

It's another strike against Verio as a bunch of idiots. Think how much
ill-will they have generated from me.

I also wonder if I buy a domain through dotster for a client - will my
client be fending off phone calls from Verio? That kind of shit annoys
me.

Anyway,

	Joe <http://artlung.com/>