[thelist] The dreaded frameset

Laura Lynch laura at corpstyles.com
Fri Mar 16 16:03:52 CST 2001

Hi, how y'all doin', etc. and so much for the niceties.

I've just started at a new ad company as *the* web person, taking over from
a video guy who, while very nice and good at what he does, is not very web
savvy. The art director is print focused, which exacerbates the 'problem'
(yes, yes, I'm getting to it). Basically, the client has a live site and
requested a redesign. The mock-ups for the redesign were done and approved
before I came on board. The approved design will require frames, and is a
real PITA to get lined up properly (one of the client's favorite elements is
a gradient on the left, bottom and right of one of the frames). I have an
alternate design to show them (it incorporates the design elements they like
but uses a tear off secondary menu instead of a framed secondary menu -- the
cause of the need for frames), which is all fine and good and working
fabulously, but I'm afraid they'll want to stick with the framed version for
whatever reason. And now the problems (code below):
-I can't get the frames to stay butted together at the top left. As I resize
the browser, they come apart.
- In Netscape (Mac -- haven't check PC yet {don't get me started} but IIRC
the same bug exists in both) when I resize, all CSS information is lost
until refresh. This doesn't happen with other CSS dependent sites I've
built, so I assume it's a problem with Netscape's handling of frames.

Any remedies?

Code for the framesets:
initial frameset:
<frameset frameborder="NO" framespacing="0"framecolor="#336699" border="0"
marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" rows="50,395">
<frame name="topNav" src="nav/topnav1.html" scrolling="no" frameborder="NO"
marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"  border="0" noresize>
<frame name="main" src="frontpage/frontpage.html" scrolling="auto"
frameborder="NO" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"  border="0" noresize>
</frameset>

frameset which is then placed in the 'main' frame (yes, I've also done it as
a hard frameset and ran into the same problems):
<frameset frameborder="0"  border="0" rows="395,*">
<frameset cols="158,*">
<frame name="ecoNav" src="perpcal/nav_perpcal.html" scrolling="yes">
<frame name="ecoMain" src="perpcal/perpcal1.html" scrolling="auto">
</frameset>
<frame name="expander" src="blank.html" scrolling="no">
</frameset>

Thanks!

--
Laura Lynch