[thelist] site layout critique

DC DC_the_gasman at Bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 17 06:07:49 CST 2001

>therefore i'm asking for anyones suggestions/comments on the following two
>layouts and if i should use one of over the other or what to fix ect. or if
>there is something inherently wrong that you see in one of the designs.
>
>as of now, i'm leaning towards layout2, which does need a little cleaning up
>(maybe that solid line under the logo to be gotten rid of).
>
>http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/tss24/layout.gif
>http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/tss24/layout2.gif

Layout 1 is *much* better - cleaner, less fussy; the highlighting of
the menu selection is much more obvious than in the second layout.
Both, however, use quite pale blue text on a white background - this
is not easy on the eyes & I'd want something slightly darker for the
main body text if nothing else. The orange text on a white background
in layout 2 is very bad - orange or yellow on white is *never* easy
to read.

I should also say that I looked at the second layout twice before I
even noticed the text "amazingly innovative" vertically arranged at
the right - and I had to really look at it to read it. In layout 1, I
had absorbed it without any conscious effort. Vertically presented
text is never easy to read, even on paper.

DC