[thelist] Business practices and Anti-Trust

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Sun Mar 18 17:18:03 CST 2001

>> This has been discussed on the Html Writers Guild.  Here is a link
>> to their FAQ on the subject.  Didn't read it all since I am not a
>> for hire programmer, but figured some of you might find it
>> interesting.
> >
> > http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/priceFAQ.html
>
> I think its incorrect.

I was on the HTML guild mailing list when this issue first came up
(my that was a long time ago). It was a huge thread. People were
very surprised and many refused to believe it. You are not alone in
your skepticism.

The guild was also skeptical, and so they did a lot of work to
verify this. All that due diligence stuff. They didn't make up
what's in the FAQ. If you don't want to believe it, that's fine.
While I don't think the issue has ever been legally tested for a
mailing list, I don't think it matters. I know the folks at the
guild thoroughly investigated this issue and their answer satisifes
me.

As for the FAQ not citing an actual case, the guild FAQ does provide
enough information that with some work you could probably dig it up.
I don't agree with your argument that not quoting a case number
somehow invalidates the Guild FAQ and their research on this.

--karl
karl.fast at pobox.com