[thelist] Re: the dreaded frameset, and NS resize bug

John Eckman eckman at liquidsquid.com
Mon Mar 19 10:31:44 CST 2001

At 02:10 PM 3/17/01, thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> > - In Netscape (Mac -- haven't check PC yet {don't get me started} but IIRC
> > the same bug exists in both) when I resize, all CSS information is lost
> > until refresh. This doesn't happen with other CSS dependent sites I've
> > built, so I assume it's a problem with Netscape's handling of frames.

I assume you mean Netscape 4.x?

This is the infamous NS Resize Bug - I'm surprised you haven't encountered
it before. Do a google search on "NS Resize Bug" and you'll find many
references to it.

There are several JavaScript based fixes out there, but none that I have
found to reliably work in framesets.

I asked about this in the last two weeks or so, and someone did post a link
to a fix, which they said (mostly?) worked if you added it to the main
framset.

I ended up doing browser sniffing and writing in font tags for NS 4.x
(document.layers based detection).
(See http://www.jotyler.com/ which is in frames only because of the free
domain redirection used).

John

John Eckman                     "It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper
www.liquidsquid.com             to just suck on a penny"