[thelist] darwin streaming server

genghis at members.evolt.org genghis at members.evolt.org
Mon Mar 19 12:12:05 CST 2001

Because it costs a bleedin fortune, I imagine

> but our experience from a user
> point of view is that QuickTime offers better quality content and more
> interactivity.

It's OK if you have a Mac, or have spent the time downloading
the 9MB of program stuff.  Interactivity-wise it doesn't
do anything you can't also do with Real.

Quicktime does have these very serious disadvantages, though:

*  It can't really handle broadband
*  It still doesn't so much stream as do a progressive download
   which leaves a copy of the movie in tact in your cache
*  It SUCKS at live broadcasting - and there's only one
   live encoder on earth, and it only runs on Macs.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com