[thelist] resizing in browswer

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 10:09:21 CST 2001

> My resolution is set at 1280x960. When a browser window is open, it's
> *large*.
> The biggest frustration I have is that reading very wide paragraphs of
> text is difficult and exhausting to the eyes.

If you find the paragraphs too wide, why not just browse with a smaller
window? The point is, at high resolutions you at least have the choice how
wide to make your windows, but users with low res screens can't increase
their screen width, and there is *nothing* more annoying than horizontal
scrolling.

If you are going to use fixed width tables, going above around 576 pixels
(once you include browser chrome) is going to cause problems for some
people. This is a bit inflexible in most cases, so liquid tables become
the best option.

In my opinion, liquid tables with liquid margins are the best
compromise. Something like a 2:6:1 ratio between left margin, content
and right margin works pretty well at all widths.

Simon