[thelist] JSP vs ASP vs PHP vs CF

Mark Horgan ether777 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:21:44 CST 2001

I've have some experience with CF,ASP and PHP and I'm beginning to learn
JSP. Here's my take on it: ASP and JSP are the two main "commercial"
languages and are quite similar except ASP uses VBScript/JScript and JSP
uses Java. ASP came before JSP and JSP seems to have similar constructs
(like enclosing code with <%). The main advantage of JSP is that it's an
open standard not tied to one company or server and also the pages are
compiled before being served, you can also develope servlets for code
intensive components. Another thing about JSP is that you can have just
method calls embedded in the HTML calling methods from separate Javabeans so
that you can separate code from page-layout mark-up.

ASP's version of Javabeans are COM objects which can be written in a number
of "Microsoft" languages. Microsoft is coming out with a new system called
.NET which aims to compete with JSP. It will allow programmers to use a
number of languages.

PHP an open-source language is a kind of mixture of a Perl and C/C++. It
makes accessing the free/cheap mySQL server very easy. PHP can also be
pre-compiled to make it run faster.

JSP,ASP and PHP are all in the same league, i.e. they use "high-level or
semi high-level" OOP programming languages. On the other hand CF is quite
restrictive but is quick for doing normal tasks like getting information
from a form and updating a database. It doesn't have objects and functions
so it can be very tedious doing complicated applications. Also the language
is made up of tags which gets tedius after a while for large amount of code
(though there is a C like version of the language but its very basic).

In my opinion JSP and PHP are the best bescause they provide a lot of
sophistication to handle anything you throw at them and they also run on NT
and LINUX/UNIX which is something I dislike about ASP. CF is quick to learn
and program but you might find it restictive after a while.

Mark