[thelist] resizing in browswer

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 18:30:41 CST 2001

> From: genghis at members.evolt.org
>
> The point is this: as a designer/developer/
> publisher/whatever, which screen resolution
> the end user prefers to use is NONE OF MY
> DAMNED BUSINESS.

i wouldn't agree with that... as a developer, you should know the
audience and you should know where it's going... if you design
580px-wide tables for all your content, and you're building a gaming
site to people on cable modems with hi-res displays, then your site
is going to look kinda weird... i've heard it quite often, they look
naked floating in the middle of the window...

> Forcing the user to do *anything* additional
> in order to make a site readable WILL have one
> or more of the following consequences:

you mean, like scrolling?  but yes, i agree with you... at the same
time, however, you can't satisfy everyone... by not cutting anyone
out on the low end, you're not pissing people off... by having people
who surf full-screen get offended that the text is too long, that
sucks, but ultimately, the user has to configure his or her *system*
to be comfortable for him or her... this includes surfing in a window
at a comfortable size... enough sites are doing it that eventually
you'll either hate them all, or surf with a non-maximized window... it
isn't the best option, but remember, you have the control to set the
text how you want to see it... and not everyone wants narrow
columns of text, either (which is something i'm still trying to
understand, since if you time those people, their parse-time drops
significantly, even though they say otherwise)...

> *	Some users will not bother, and leave

yes, but i suspect it will be a small number... and there are users
who will get pissed at other things, like a session cookie, or a
select menu for navigation... again, you can't catch *everyone*...

> *	Some users will become actively annoyed with
>  my attempt to force them to do something
>  when it wasn't necessary

nobody is forcing a resize... a scroll bar for lower-res users is
forcing someone to scroll to read the text...

> *	My clients' sites will generate fewer PIs
>
> *	My clients will generate fewer sales
>
> *	My clients will lose money

i know this argument well... but i've never seen lost traffic on a
liquid site... this doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but if you lose 1%
in order to gain 10%, the net gain is good enough for most
clients... and most clients will view that lost 1% are marginal
customers anyway... that's just how it happens...

> No-one, but no-one, who actually needs to do business
> over their site can afford to lose people for any
> reason whatsoever.  Horizontal scolling, half-mile-wide
> columns of text, sites which look bad in legacy browsers,
> sites which require plugins to be downloaded - they're
> all obstructions.  And obstructions are a Bad Thing.

agreed... but it's hard to swallow that so easily for a simple window
resize... i agree with you in principle, the user has to do
*something*, but i'm guessing the user has had to do it for other
sites, so this is no special case, and may already have caused the
user to resize...

[...]