[thelist] Scrubbing HTML email (was: Sending both HTML and plaintext email)

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Fri Mar 23 10:07:14 CST 2001

Seth Bienek wrote:
> > I'd like to see an add-on proggie that scrubs incoming HTML email free of
> > it's evil binds and passes just the text thru..  Is there anything out there
> > that does that?

If you have administrative access to your email server or have shell
access to it you could always use your server's .forward or .qmail
facility to pipe it through a command (I'm thinking lynx).

I wouldn't know the specifics about doing so as I just delete such
mails on-site or read them in Outlook Express if they have information
inside them that I care enough about to tolerate the HTML.

The beauty of IMAP and its ability to synchronize the same account on
multiple boxes :P.

Joe Crawford wrote:
> I'd be interested to know about such scrubbing software, myself.

See above. It's the best way I know of and allows the server to handle
all the actual filtering/scrubbing/whatever. Hooray for making other
machines do your dirty work! Hehe.

Regards,
Toby

--