[thelist] IE 6.0 beta in browser archive...

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Mon Mar 26 16:52:58 CST 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:18:20PM -0500, aardvark wrote:
> WinME is generally regarded as buggy, and gives all sorts of
> trouble to memory-intensive apps like Photoshop... it's also
> generally considered to be highly unstable... my own experience
> makes me agree... i don't know why anyone would choose to use it
> anyway, win98 has a smaller footprint and is more stable, and
> win2k is just a hella lot more robust... but your general consumer
> has no clue, and so there are a whole bunch of machines out there
> with a bad OS (in addition to all the others)...

I agree with you whole-heartedly.

As a part-time employee at Best Buy (hehe! never "take a semester off"
from college, you wind up doing the lamest stuff...) all we sell are
Windows ME machines. It's not uncommon for 50% of them to be frozen at
end of the day when we go to turn them off. And that's not running any
processor intensive stuff or anything, just a bunch of people opening
Microsoft Works a few times and Internet Explorer, which just gets them
the Internet connection setup wizard.

I will tell you, however, that anyone that comes into our store is
FORCED to buy Windows ME if they get a computer. We don't offer any
Windows 98 or Windows 2000 machines (even though we get a fair number of
requests for the latter) and I haven't seen a person yet who was willing
to buy their machine and then shell out the $300 for Windows 2000.

Considering we sell a whole bunch of machines every day, I can answer
your question: People use Windows ME despite all its bugs because we
make them. Plain and simple and oh-so-sad. I wouldn't touch it with a
ten foot pole personally. Then again, I wouldn't touch an eMachine, HP
Pavilion or Compaq Presario either, and that's all we sell (except for
the occasional Sony VAIO, which is only slightly better).

Regards,
Toby

--
Tobyn "trb" Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>