[thelist] an array of values in a MySQL table?

phil phil at xlab.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 01:44:46 CST 2001

on 27/3/01 2:56 pm, Ron Thigpen at rthigpen at nc.rr.com wrote:

> Why not use a simple join table (say issue_news_tbl)?  Define it with two
> fields:
> your article news_tbl ID and issue_tbl ID.  Make the combination of these
> fields the
> Primary Key for this table.  Pulling article ID's for a give issues is a
> simple
> query:
>
> SELECT from issue_news_tbl
> WHERE news_id = thisNews_id

ah this makes a bit more sense, creating a junction table between the two
others, cheers Ron I shall give it a go. I did think of duplicating each row
for each type of issue but it didn't prove efficient as each row included a
lengthy text article.

> OR do a JOIN across the three tables.

right, may have to consult my mysql book on how this works again.

> Don't work so hard, let the db do the lifting.

absolutely, the less coding or chin-scratching I need to do the better!

<tip type="flash">
Importing artwork from Freehand into Flash works better when the Freehand
artwork is exported as an Illustrator file then imported into an empty
symbol in Flash. This keeps grouped elements, fills and layers intact.
Strange but true.
</tip>

--

http://www.xlab.co.uk