[thelist] Strange page views

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Thu Mar 29 00:08:08 CST 2001

> From: Peter Kaulback
> >
> >Have you tried in the last few minutes? I can get in with both IE 5.5 and
> >Opera 5 (masquerading as IE 5 and Mozilla 4.76). No scripting or database
> >errors.
> >
> >David
>
> David, I just uninstalled IE6 and am now able to view the site
> properly.  So I'm curious as to how IE6 runs afoul of the browser
> detectors in the code?  Aside from going out and learning PHP or SQL is
there a
> relatively easier vantage to start from here?

Okay, a few caveats to begin with: I know little about browser detection,
especially in regards to frames. I've always built sites that don't rely on
browser detection (or frames, for that matter).

I'm guessing that the reason your page barfed on IE6 is that IE6 is passing
a useragent string that your JavaScript sniffer doesn't recognize. The
reason Opera barfed (and again this is a guess) is that Opera actually uses
information from Windows to pass the useragent string when it's in "IE
stealth mode". Because you had IE6 installed, Opera tried to pass itself off
as IE6.

You're problem is almost surely *NOT* the php or sql code. That stuff
*should* be all done processing by the time it gets to your page. Your
problem lies in your browser detection script, which is client-side
JavaScript. I don't know much about JavaScript, but I'm not sure how
thorough or limiting your particular sniffer might be.

A quick Google search for "javascript browser detection" turned up a
resource in our very own archive from Peter-Paul Koch:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?detect.html

You might take a peek at that.

I would also think that you want to do your sniffing/detection in the
frameset document rather than in a frame, but again David != framesmart.

Maybe we can get one of our JavaScript smarties involved here to confirm my
suspicions and make recommendations.

David