[thelist] Viewlink and behaviours

Ornstein, Ian IanOrnstein at NC.SLR.com
Thu Mar 29 16:29:06 CST 2001

I suspect that most of the readers of this list develop for other browsers
than IE. Nonetheless, I call your attention to this URL
http://msdn.microsoft.com/Downloads/samples/Internet/ie55/VLEBCalendar/Sourc
e/Source%20Files/vlcomparison.htm

My intial delight with this page is the buttons that draw a tree diagram of
the controls on the page. It is really quite impressive.
On second viewing, I got the message that the ViewLink is another technology
tool for our toolboxes.

When I first saw "behaviours", my reaction was another non compatible
difference for us to deal with in our development. Again, a second look
revealed that it was a very nice way to ecapsulate the javascript code.

In shops where the work is divided between programmers, designers etc.
the behaviour (.htc files) frees the designer from worry about screwing up
the code because it is in a separate file.

I haven't used it yet, but it seems likely that I will.

If the viewlink is a waste of your time then just seeing the tree built
before your eyes should be worth the trip.

Ian Ornstein - Programmer and Web Developer
IBM Global Services, Global AMS Delivery
(704) 509-8022