[thelist] Slowing Down a Connection

Erik Goodlad erik at stirlingbridge.com
Fri Mar 30 12:57:47 CST 2001

Is there any way to emulate a slower connection than you currently have?

If you manage the web server your site is on and are running IIS 4 or 5
(this may work with other web servers, or versions, but I don't know).

You can create duplicates of your web site, and give each duplicate a header
like  144.domainname.com, 288.domainname.com, 566.domainname.com, etc.

And using the web server feature "Enable Bandwidth Throttling" you can limit
the bandwidth of each web site to mimic the average download speed of each
type of connection speed.

You can have these web site entries pull the same code as your real website.
But when you access it via the different header you get the throttled
version.

Erik Goodlad
The Stirling Bridge Group, LLC
*We Engineer Internet Business Solutions*
TEL: (949) 707-1534   FAX: (949) 707-1535