[thelist] setting up a faux-server environment

Patrick Berry pberry at piratehaven.org
Sun Apr 1 11:12:29 CDT 2001

>>> Mark Horgan had the thought that... <<<

> Setting up Mac web servers is going to be a problem since Macs are rarely
> used as web servers in the commerical environment. I'm sure someone out
> there has some info on this. On PC (preferably NT) it's pretty straight
> forward. First you need to get a web server, either IIS/PWS(which supports
> ASP)from Microsoft or Apache Web Server and then install PHP and maybe a
> database server for database-driven websites (either mySQL or use built-in
> windows ODBC drivers with Microsoft Access).

There are always exceptions to the norm though ;-)
www.army.mil
www.apple.com (sure, it's OS X Server, but they still call it Mac OS
;-)

The new OS X Server (NOT the commercial OS X) comes with apache/php4
and mysql already installed.  Of course it hasn't been released yet...
Anyway, you can use macs in a production environment, just not a lot
of people do it since up till now you didn't have nice tools to play
with like apache (unless you used Tenon's tools), php, mysql, etc...
Now you do.  Lots of people have packages for php4 and mysql for the
commercial OS X.

<tip type="vim">
   When coding in vim, you can hit % in escape mode to match brackets
   with the cursor.  Track down those missing parens in no time!
</tip>

Pat
--
Our "flame war" is apparently held in person in their land and called
"project meeting".  -- Alan Cox