(fwd) RE: [thelist] Server aliasing problem with IE 3 + NT 4?

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Apr 1 21:33:35 CDT 2001

On behalf of Andrew Forsberg <andrew at thepander.co.nz>:

The following message was held because of an invalid header.
Please remember to send messages in plain-text format. If
you need help setting your email client correctly, feel free
to contact myself or admin at lists.evolt.org.

>  > > From: Patrick Berry <pberry at piratehaven.org>
>>  [...]
>>  > The server is probably hosting a bunch of domains aliased to one IP
>>  > and the server is taking care of the aliasing using HTTP 1.1 headers
>>  > which IE 3.0 most likely doesn't understand.
>
>I should point out at this stage that NT4 shipped with IE *2*, not 3...

Gosh, you're right, it was IE 2. Sorry if I misled anyone.

What interested me was that this browser could not look up any of the
sites hosted by my ISP. It was also a problem that I'd never seen in
any other 'antique' browser. Neither NS 2.02 or IE 3.01 on the
Macintosh have any problem with this.

Evolt.org suffers from something very similar, by the way. With
Mosaic 1.0.3 (mac) using the default http version (ver.?) the
following is output:

>   Please Enter Your Login Information... User ID Password Sign in as guest
>

>© Pierce Manufacturing. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement

When I attempt to use the http 0.9 option the server throws out:

>Problem Report:
>
>The remote system rejected your HTTP request as Invalid while
>attempting to retrieve . Possible Cause:
>
>The browser used '' and generated a malformed HTTP request. This
>problem should not be encountered by a stable commercial browser.
>Possible Solution:
>
>Contact your Web browser technical support team if the problem persists.

Is it possible / probable that IE 2 was based on early Mosaic code?
Netscape 2 just sings along. It looks like it might even be http 1.0
that IE 2 / Mosaic is failing to use.

Anyway thank you all for your diagnoses -- I'm quite happy that the
problem is out of my control (short of setting up a new server with a
unique ip for each site).

Best,
Andrew
--