(fwd) RE: [thelist] Server aliasing problem with IE 3 + NT 4?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Apr 2 07:23:05 CDT 2001

On 1 Apr 2001, at 22:30, Warden, Matt wrote:

> Evolt.org suffers from something very similar, by the way. With
> Mosaic 1.0.3 (mac) using the default http version (ver.?) the
> following is output:

It's not just antique browsers that have problems with evolt.org.
Running the WebTV Viewer on a PC, evolt.org doesn't come up.
It's oracular.com   Running a *real* WebTV, there's no problem,
and there's no problem running the WebTV Viewer with other
shared-IP hosting I've tried it with, including the Apache I run
for development (1.3.12) and production (1.3.11)  Evolt claims
to be Apache 1.3.14, but there must be something funny about
the build, because it identifies itself as
"Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) @PACKAGE@/@VERSION@"

> Is it possible / probable that IE 2 was based on early Mosaic code?
> Netscape 2 just sings along. It looks like it might even be http 1.0
> that IE 2 / Mosaic is failing to use.

RFC 1945 (http/1.0) wasn't even issued until May 1996.  MSIE/2
was the browser included in Windows95 in December 1995, so
the fact that it was an http/0.9 browser is hardly anything to
complain about. The fact that it didn't support tables?  More of an
issue.

And yes, Microsoft bought Mosaic code from Spyglass.

"Yes, Microsoft royally screwed over Spyglass by licensing their
code and then turning around and giving it away for free. This
obviously made it a lot more difficult for Spyglass to sell other
licenses since their potential customers could just embed Internet
Explorer for free. Not only did Microsoft destroy Spyglass' existing
market, but Spyglass also accused Microsoft of not paying the
required royalties on the code that they licensed. Spyglass has
since been relegated to a niche market, and it is interesting to note
that they don't even mention Internet Explorer as one of their
accomplishments in their showcase."
   - http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html

deke