[thelist] charging for SE placement?

Rachell Coe rachell at coeville.com
Mon Apr 2 14:17:51 CDT 2001

I learned about Search Engine placement at the same time I was learning
design and so occasionally offer it to clients I design for.  However, I
must say that it is incredibly boring (I consider it the laborers
equivalent to shoveling gravel), and the Search Engines algorithms are
constantly changing so you are always scrambling to make sure your clients
rankings don't fall.

It is made doubly difficult if you haven't designed the site yourself
because to make the pages 'Search Engine friendly', certain things need to
be done to them -- which could effect the existing design.  I would
research it very carefully before you decide to take it on because it is an
ongoing project, and success is iffy.

Some good sites to go to:
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/
http://www.virtualpromote.com

Software you may need:
WebPosition Gold Professional Edition ($349.00)

My Pricing:
If clients just want to have their pages submitted and ranking reports run,
I charge $35.00 per month.
If they want me to actually optimize their site and actively promote it on
a monthly basis, then I charge a set-up fee of $50.00 per keyword/keyword
phrase, and $25.00 per month after that per keyword/keyword phrase -- this
also includes nightly submissions and ranking reports.

Usually I try to encourage my clients to buy the promotional software
(WebPosition gold) and promote their sites themselves (I even offer to
train them), but unfortunately most don't want to do that.

Good Luck!