[thelist] ASP Equivalent for CreateUUID() ?

Chris Evans chris at fuseware.com
Tue Apr 3 08:28:15 CDT 2001

Even though I use CF, I still roll my own.  when CF creates the UUID, it
uses part of the MAC address from the servers network card.  I believe this
is part of the standard.  During stress testing, we found this to be slow  -
about 1 second per UUID.

I have three parts to my UID.  The first part is the IP address of the
client machine converted to dotless notation, to reduce the size.  The
second part is the date/timestamp converted to UNIX time.  The third part is
a random number.  This works out to a maximum 32 character UID.

I have the CF code if anybody is interested.

Chris Evans
chris at fuseware.com
http://www.fuseware.com