[thelist] ColdFusion question

zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Tue Apr 3 21:41:10 CDT 2001

jeff wrote:

> like what?  i've been using cf solid since v3.0 and have had no problems
> using cffile to write files -- ever -- and i've used cffile alot.  i've used
> it on nt4, win2k, and linux with the majority of that experience on windows.

Memory leak (most likely fixed), CPU usage spikes, threading problems. I had
one server that was rendered unusable if we tried using CFFile. YMMV as it
isn't consistent (and to be honest it appears to be a Win issue as much as a
CF issue) but its problematic enough that I wouldn't use it for something
unless it was necessary.

> it's true that you should always evaluate what you're trying to do and how
> you're trying to do it.  however, in this case, we're working on trying to
> solve a problem for another user -- granted they should probably
> re-evaluate.  having said that though -- there is a solution that will work
> which i've outlined in very simply terms.

I just happen to think its not the optimal solution. Primarily because I
think its the wrong question to be asking (based on my incomplete knowledge
of the context of the question).

And I understand that the issue is trying to solve a problem for another
user here but if the question isn't phrased correctly or is based on an
incorrect assumption isn't it better to ask them to re-evaluate their
preconceptions instead of going to lengths to solve the wrong problem?

--

If you have to choose the lesser of two evils then maybe its time to
think about rephrasing the question.

email: zac at pixelgeek.com
web: http://www.pixelgeek.com/