[thelist] Industry Associations

Tamara Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Wed Apr 4 11:19:48 CDT 2001

At 11:52 AM 4/4/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Speaking of Industry Associations ... Do you all belong to one and if so,
>which one?
>
>I'm looking to join a professional organization for web designers, but I
>can't decide which one would be best.
>Since there don't seem to be any that meet in northern New Jersey, it's been
>difficult for me to get to a meeting (in NYC for instance) to judge for
>myself.

I belong to the HTML Writer's Guild, DigitalEve Chicago, and ChiPHPug
(Chicago PHP User's Group). They all have varying levels of *requirements*
for membership.

You might also want to look for WITI (Women In Technology International at
http://www.witi.com/index-c.shtml) and AIP (Association of Internet
Professionals) which has a list of US chapters at
http://www.association.org/chapters.cfm#usa.

I really like evolt.org -- great ideas and advice -- but the face-to-face,
sit down and have coffee type of thing is also nice. I work alone here and
it keeps me from getting *stale.* It's also a nice chance to get my name
out there just in case someone has some *overflow.*

A quick search at Google turned up tons of associations, I chose the above
groups because those are the ones I know about.

Good luck!
<tamara />