[thelist] Do women view web pages differently from men?

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Fri Apr 6 18:10:49 CDT 2001

http://www.dol.gov/dol/wb/public/wb_pubs/wagegap2000.htm,
interesting, but more importantly,
http://stats.bls.gov:80/news.release/wkyeng.t07.htm (scroll over if
you don't see stats for weekly salary) very clearly shows a
difference in pay between men and women _in the same occupation_.

Of course, there are a lot of places who do pay women and men the
same amount, but *in general* there is a significant gap in
compensation.

You can refute the first page because it doesn't show *by occupation*
the differences, but the second page does. And no, you can't blame it
on part time workers because this is a table of "Median usual weekly
earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by occupation and sex,
annual averages."

Don't perpetuate _your_ myth when the statistic you're trying to
debunk is very clearly documented here. Now, can you show me that
"every single survey" says men and women in comparable jobs are paid
the same? I've shown, using the most recent Census data (presumably
the largest single statistical base in the U.S.) that there's at
least one that doesn't agree with you.

Furthermore, if you're using the argument that more men are in
management than women, explain why that is the case. Shouldn't there
be a roughly equal number of women in management positions,
considering women now outnumber men in the United States?

<tip type="Mac OS X">
You can sync your Handspring/Palm device in the Classic environment
of Mac OS X. Just install the proper drivers in Classic and plug in
your cradle and PDA and press the HotSync button!
</tip>

--
<icongarden at icongarden.com>

Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others
belong to us as well. -Voltaire, philosopher, historian, satirist,
dramatist, and essayist (1694-1778)