[thelist] Wacom tablets - info?

Olly Hodgson gnarly at punkass.com
Sat Apr 7 08:06:04 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "carole guevin" <carole at soulmedia.com>

> I'm considering buying an Intuos drawing tablet - either a 6x8 or 9x12.
> What I need to know is the ratio of compensation required by each size.

I've only got a penpartner but I'll attempt to help where I can.

> Does it replace your mouse - like wacome serial port and mouse usb - is it
> one or the other or I could use both?

It can do. Assuming you have enough ports, you can use your normal mouse,
and your tablet, or replace the mouse altogether. I believe you can get a
mouse for use on the intuos anyway, although that may not be preferable if,
like me, you like to keep the tablet on your lap. If the Intuos is serial,
get a USB mouse and vice versa. If they are both USB, you can always get a
USB hub.

> Also - as for the size of line - the stylus has a quite large tip - let's
> say that I'm accustomed to using .5mm lead pencil - will I be able to have
> that kind of fine line precision with tablet?

Yes. In Photoshop (or whatever) you can turn off the pressure sensitivity,
and choose a small brush. Besides, it doesnt work by the size of the stylus,
but rather the pressure you're putting on it.

> Any known problems - the station it will be installed on is a
PIII450/384mg
> RAM/WinME?

Not as far as I know. But make sure you pick up the latest drivers from
http://www.wacom.com/ . There is also a fix there so that the eraser can be
used in Office97.

Cheers,

Olly