Disabling back button (was: [thelist] Industry Associations)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 7 08:13:49 CDT 2001

i could give you a JS solution, but i'm not going to... it's too easy to
bypass, have it not work, or have other bizarreness cause it to fail...

instead, have your application handle this... perhaps you can set a
cookie (which can be bypassed as well, even session-only
cookies), or have a form variable that gets incremented by the
server, or something... depending on how you are capturing data
and processing it, there are a number of options...

by default, i set a session cookie that gets deleted when the
browser is closed or when the customer goes to the beginning of
the order process again (with a new cart)... i also do some script
trickery on the final page to help account for the rest of the users...

> From: "Josh Spiegel" <joshsquared at yahoo.com>
>
> Does anybody know how to break the back button?  I am doing credit
> card processing and I don't want them to be able to click back after
> their card has been charged.

<tip>
When posting a question, please send a new email with a new
subject.  People often ignore threads that they feel don't apply to
them.  And if you reply to an existing thread, it gets stored in the
archives as part of that thread, even though it's a new question.
</tip>