[thelist] ASP & MS Access

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Mon Apr 9 19:00:30 CDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 04:47:28PM -0700, Beau Hartshorne wrote:
> interact with each other - in my php/mysql experience, my php script would
> "connect" to the mysql database application. How is this accomplished using
> ASP/Access?

Admittedly I come from your background. I'm a Unix-head with very little
ASP experience. I believe it's done with ODBC. You export a database
(table?) with the ODBC drivers on the DB server and then you set up that
data source using the ODBC drivers of the client (the machine running
the ASP).

That data source is then "available" to your client machine and it can
use it without worrying about where the data is coming from and what
database it's coming from (to an extent), because ODBC handles the
details.

I'm really not sure on this one, but that was my very limited
understanding of the subject, mostly taken from fiddling around with it
a bit. If I just made myself look incredibly stupid, I apologize :P.

Regards,
Toby

--
Tobyn "trb" Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>