[thelist] What would you do?

Eric Engelmann eric at geonetric.com
Tue Apr 10 11:43:06 CDT 2001

What this other company did is your ammunition: use it as defense against
newbie/immature shops that don't understand development. It justifies your
[higher?] pricing by showing that you know what you're doing; they're
desperate for business. If they really want to work with a developer that
can magically quote a price, then you don't want to work with them anyway.
I've used the analogy of constructing a house. Sure, you can give ballpark
ideas, but until they've picked out every last detail, there's no way you
can give them any kind of solid numbers.

Typically, we'll provide clients at this stage with a ballpark idea, like
+/- 60%, to test their budget ranges, but with very large disclaimers that
there's no way we can give a realistic estimate until we've done preliminary
planning (which we generally charge for).

- Eric