[thelist] What would you do?

Green, Janet JGreen at DesMoinesMetro.com
Tue Apr 10 11:46:26 CDT 2001

Gina, just tell them, "I'd like to gather some information from you directly
so there's no possibility of misunderstanding another designer's
interpretation of your needs. Please fill out this short form so I can be
sure my proposal gives you the information you need to reach a decision." If
they refuse, and won't give you information directly, you need to take that
as a warning sign that they are going to be difficult to work with. As far
as why they might have sent you another designer's proposal, my guess is
that they are either really unsavvy when it comes to sharing proprietary
information, or maybe they wanted you to beat the price. Consider THIS a
warning as well that *your* proposal will make it into the hands of another
competitor somewhere along the line.

-Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: Gina K. Anderson [mailto:gina at sitediva.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 9:39 AM
To: Evolt
Subject: [thelist] What would you do?

Sender Address Domain - sitediva.com

Hi all,

I had a client fax me another designer's proposal the other day. They wanted
me to send something similar to them as they were considering my services to
design their site. I have worked with them before, and continue updating
their
*old* (re-over 5 years) site about once a year. This would be a separate
company
project.

They approached me some time ago for a proposal, and I gave them a document
fill out to get a gist of their project needs. This is one of those clients
that
wants to know "how much" before I know anything about their site needs. They
never filled it out, though I followed up twice.

I am very uncomfortable in having another designer's proposal, though it is
not
very detailed as far as sections, number of pages or things I would actually
need to know in order to give a quote, however, their bottom line price is
there
and an outline of the site's general needs (very general), along with the
designer name and such. I am in the process of drafting an HTML form to
submit
to them to see if they will be more specific, to gather what I need to know,
so
I can have my own original proposal.

How would you guys handle this as far as the client is concerned? I am
trying to
find a way to word "I need feedback from YOU, not another designer's
proposal"
in a professional manner ;) I'm not really *itching* to do the site, but it
would be nice if I could get some feedback and cooperation from the client.

Gina