[thelist] Good place to start learning JSP?

Lee Stewart LeeStewart at bigfoot.com
Tue Apr 10 22:01:37 CDT 2001

> I am thinking of learning JSP and am wondering where to begin. I am also
> wondering if there are any free JSP web servers that I can download and
> install on my computer (win2k pro running apache).

Well, the obvious choice for you is Tomcat, from the Apache/Jakarta group
(http://jakarta.apache.org/).  I installed the latest JDK, then their
download and was working stand-alone in 15 minutes.

In the "real world", you'd want to configure things so that your Apache
server delivers static content (HTML, etc) and Tomcat serves the .JSP stuff.
I never got that going - it wasn't necessary to learn JSP.

One warning I have about Tomcat that I've seen with Jrun as well - JavaBeans
get loaded and stay around forever.  When I updated a bean, the engine
wouldn't reload the new bean.  This forced me to shut down the server and
start it up again.

> I have found a few intro
> tutorials regarding JSP but am looking for some good website or book
> suggestions.

I think this depends on how well you know Java.  I liked "Pure JSP" from
SAMS.  It went over things in a pretty easy to follow manner and has a nice
class reference section in the back.  Other books I saw had too much Java
101 type stuff.

The book went through setting Access up for use with JDBC and has some good
stuff on JavaMail.

Lee Stewart       StripedCow Technology Group, Inc.
                           advanced web development