[thelist] How can I generate a printable page froma any web p age (CSS, ASP?) Also - An Idea

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Thu Apr 12 12:09:13 CDT 2001

>From: J. Blanchard
>
>----problem needing solution----
>Is there a way to do this witout having to create "printer-friendly"
>pages? I have searched but cannot find a how-to model for this
>
>I have settled on HTML 4.01, CSS1, ASP2.0, and SQL Server 7.0 as the
>standards, so the answer needs to fit within those parameters
>if possible.
>----end problem----

John,

We're working with pretty much the same tools here, and we just offer a link
that passes a variable to the query string to switch to a different
stylesheet and table structure. Basically we turn off everything but the
content cell of the main table, a header, and a link back to the formatted
version.

We wrapped it all up in an include so we can drop it on any page we need to.
Realistically, not *every* single page on your site needs to have a printer
friendly version, although that's possible, too.

4guysfromrolla has a detail article about how they did theirs, which might
be helpful:

David