[thelist] Email address masking via HTML or JS?

Green, Janet JGreen at DesMoinesMetro.com
Fri Apr 13 10:15:43 CDT 2001

Hi all - I have a question about the possibility of masking an email
address. Our organization has several volunteers who would be willing to
address questions about the "greatness of Greater Des Moines" via email from
their work email addresses, but don't necessarily want our website visitors
to *know* what their email address is. I could create a simple form, with a
"mailto" function that sends the email, and the addy would then only be
visible by doing a View/Source. But, I was wondering if there was any way to
write a regular email text link that would somehow put some "ghost text" in
the email's "to" field instead of the address, but still send to the proper
address. (One of the volunteers in this group *swears* this is possible
because he has seen it, but doesn't remember where or how. That's why I'm
asking, instead of just sending everyone over to Yahoo for an anonymous
email address.)

Thanks for any thoughts you may have...
Janet