[thelist] CSS: Unix and font sizes

one_webdude at excite.com one_webdude at excite.com
Fri Apr 13 13:00:53 CDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:35:49 -0400, thelist at lists.evolt.org wrote:

>  I decided to go with px to determine my font sizes in CSS.  Everything
looks
>  good on both Mac and Win, NS and IE.  On NS on Linux and Solaris (gotta
>  target that hidden, deep-pocketed Solaris crowd, ya know!), the font is
>  teensy-tiny.

Chris,

I maintain an intranet site and about 60% of my visitors are on
Solaris and the rest are on HP-UX with a smattering of Win95. I found
that the same page looked different between the two flavors of UNIX,
HP-UX looked about the same as the PCs, but Solaris indeed qualififed
as fine print. I went from pt to px and it helped, but. . . . I've
also used a different style sheet for Solaris. Here's what I used
to snoop out the OS:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

function Is() {
var agent  = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
this.win   = (agent.indexOf("win")!=-1);
this.sun   = (agent.indexOf("sunos")!=-1);
this.hp    = (agent.indexOf("hp-ux")!=-1);
}

var is = new Is();

</SCRIPT>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TOPMARGIN="0" LEFTMARGIN="0"
   MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0">

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

if (is.win) { window.location ="index_default.html"; }
else if (is.hp) { window.location ="index_default.html"; }
else { window.location ="index_sunos.html"; }

</SCRIPT>

Worked pretty well.

HTH,

Terry Fowler