[thelist] Case sensitivity of URLs

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Mon Apr 16 15:19:57 CDT 2001

"Daniel J. Cody" wrote:
> > a) The URL's appear to be case sensitive (they aren't on NT)
>
> Yup, Unix is always case sensitive

I've heard of mod_spelling (mod_speling?) for apache ... is that a way
to get urls to be treated without regard to case?

I'd be leary of enforcing case insensitivity on a unix box, but under
some circumstances it might be more convenient. Anyone ever do this?

Side note:
One of my pet peeves is print designers munging urls when they layout a
print ad - unaware that there's a differnce between:

	www.clientsite.dom/promo
and
	WWW.CLIENTSITE.DOM/PROMO

I have added redirects to sites a few times in the past because of
issues like this. And if you were going a radio ad making promo
directories case insensitive would be more convenient than making
multiple redirects and aliases.

Of course, Mac and Windows servers don't care. :-\

Ramblingly,

	Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com