[thelist] Cold Fusion question: URL with ? to search engine friendly URL

Martin Kuplens-Ewart martin at takingitglobal.org
Mon Apr 16 20:29:11 CDT 2001

[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Shirley Kaiser,
SKDesigns
> Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 8:57 PM
> To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Subject: [thelist] Cold Fusion question: URL with ? to search engine
friendly URL

> Hi,

> I'm not a Cold Fusion user, but I'm researching how to convert dynamic
URLs
> with the ? in them to a search engine friendly URL for a tutorial I
wrote
> that's published online (got a dead link report) about designing
search
> engine friendly sites.

> I had a good source at Allaire's Cold Fusion forums, but the URL is
now
> gone. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I don't know if there is any specific function out there, but the
principle of doing it is as such:

Have your server send all url requests with urls at /mydynamicdirectory/
or whatever you wanna call it, to a page that explodes the url and pulls
everything between /'s after /mydynamicdirectory/ as variables... Use
these to pull the relevant content.

Umm, one way of doing this without the / redirect is to use a 404
system... Where the 404 page for /mydynamicdirectory/ is the page
described above... PHPbuilder kinda shows an idea... I forget the
specific article, but yeah... I'm sure that can be modified without too
much hassle!

hth,

Martin Kuplens-Ewart
http://www.graphicist.com

Let's face the obvious. Yesterday we were nerds. Today we're
the cognitive elite. Let's conquer. - Chester G. Edwards