[thelist] iframe in netscape 6/mozilla

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 00:13:47 CDT 2001

> From: Alan Storm <gliff at rochester.rr.com>
[...]
> Heh. Oops.  The things your mind blocks out.  Once I applied a height
> and width with *style sheets*, everything worked fine.  Which means I
> can keep the liquidy idea in my head alive.

cool, glad to hear it...  will it adopt the size of the parent element if
you style the parent, but not the iframe?  can't say that i've ever
tried, iframes are one of those things i've been able to avoid
implementing (kinda like imagemaps)...

> However, I'm still curious why wrapping the iframe in a 100%
> height/width table resulted in the same skooshed iframe.
> (http://www.gliff.org/test/tables.html).  There should be plenty of
> room for it to expand. Is this buggy iframe implementation, or am I
> asking HTML to do something it's not "allowed" to do?  Anyone have a
> clue?

perhaps because the netscape engine wasn't designed to use
iframes in 'quirks' mode, and was coded to use understand CSS
when somebody tried to use iframes... IOW, looks like somebody
second-guessed developers on that one...

> Thanks to James and aardvark for unwittingly teaming up to dust off my
> brain and solving the immediate problem.

glad to help, i was just surfing Dork Tower archives and watching
Miami Vice anyway...