[thelist] Down at the Crossroads

Ornstein, Ian IanOrnstein at NC.SLR.com
Tue Apr 17 09:54:46 CDT 2001

Before you venture into Perl tank a look at the future:
http://www.byte.com/feature/BYT20000201S0001
Besides Perl, there is Python and now Zope!

Ian Ornstein - Programmer and Web Developer
IBM Global Services, Global AMS Delivery
(704) 509-8022

-----Original Message-----
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Quackamoe <quackamoe at yahoo.com>
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] Down at the Crossroads

I have a decision to make and would like some
guidance. I'm familiar with the relative merits
of PHP/MySQL and Perl/DBI/MySQL. I feel certain that
either one will do what I need. I don't know PHP at
all; I do have a working knowledge of Perl, but not
DBI. Also no MySQL or any kind of db stuff. Well,
I've gotten Perl to talk to a flat file, but that's
about it. I'd love to learn both, and intend to, but
I can't learn both this week, and certainly can't
deploy the site in both. So, starting where I am now,
which approach can get this site up and running the
sooner. Go with Perl because I already know it some,
or dive into PHP from scratch because it's easier to
learn and get running? Also, which one will be more
helpful in getting me a job in a month or so? ;-)

<requirements>
Visitors - hopefully lots of them - will upload photos
of items for sale, along with a descriptive text and
their name, address, email addy, etc. The photos will
be optimized and thumbnails created (by ImageMagick?).

Then html pages will be generated as needed. That's
about it. Oh, and email will be sent to the webmaster
that something has been posted.
</requirements>

<environment>
My hosting company has Perl 5.6.0, PHP4, and MySQL
running on RedHat 7.
</environment>

TIA for any rational comments - religious and flamish
posts --> Trash.

Terry Fowler