[thelist] iframe in netscape 6/mozilla

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Apr 17 14:18:11 CDT 2001

On 16 Apr 2001, at 22:00, Alan Storm posted a message which said:
> Am I breaking some obscure, yet significant, standards rule?  Are iframes
> not 'supposed' to support percentage heights and widths?

Iframes are supposed to support length of type %length, which means
either pixel or percentage specification, but not star specification.

However, there is a difference in the way browsers implement the
percentage lengths. The specification says that it is a percentage
of *available* space. If you have a 600-pixel-wide table in a browser
running full screen on a 1600x1200 monitor, and you specify one
of the tabledata cells as being "90%" wide, a compliant browser
will recognize that table *is* free to become 1600 pixels wide -
table and tabledata widths are requested *minimums* - and will
try to make that tabledata cell 1440 pixels wide. The idiot who
wrote the page *may* have meant 90% of the 600 pixels, but that's
not what he wrote.

Netscape is now trying to honestly render pages.
MSIE feels comfortable ignoring HTML and rendering something else.
Opera is trying hard to be compatible with both, but they cannot afford
to ignore the many sites written in MSIE instead of HTML....

deke