[thelist] ASP IIS Memory Leakage

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 17:46:42 CDT 2001

(ben, quick note, make sure you trim posts when you reply back to
these thingies)

> From: Ben Ewing <bewi at haestad.com>
>
> Lets see.  We don't have any custom components.  We use one third
> party dll from Software Artisans called SACheck.

dunno that one...

> I think the only non-server software running is the Innoculan virus
> software.

how's it run with it off?  long shot...

> The SQL Server database is on a separate win 2000 machine.

but you know your connections aren't being reset or closed
properly...

> The inetpub and dllhost processes hog the processor when they spike in
> mem usage.

are there are other processes at play?  is it based on number of
users?  total amount of traffic (sum)?  how can you reproduce it?

> I am not confident that we do not have any bad code.  We definitely
> have connections that are not being closed and set to nothing.  I am
> fairly confident that we do not have any infinite loops or hanging
> pages causing the problem.

yeah, that should just kill the server if you have a bad loop or
something, but you never know...

> LIFO - Last In First Out.  I'm assuming this means that you remove the
> last code added to see if things start working again.  We may have to
> resort to that soon.

no, i was referencing your coding methodology in case you have
any custom components on there your guys may have written...
check those to make sure they kill off anything that touches
memory in the opposite order that they called it, making sure to
free up all memory and thus abort memory leaks... yeah, way too
general...

but yeah, if you can roll your server back in time to a point at which
it was stable and then keep adding stuff... got a crash server you
can configure to do this?

> I'd be a lot happier if we could reproduce this problem on our test
> server. Since we can't, I'm assuming it has to do with load.  We're
> looking into load testing software now.

oh, you tried that... ummm... yeah, them IIS lists can be great...