[thelist] "algorithms" for search engines

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Wed Apr 18 09:46:42 CDT 2001

<snip>
From: JenniferE at mif.com

Someone I know was recently approached by a guy to redo his site and
says his specialty is search engine placement via algorithms.  I don't
even know what that means (I shut down during math classes).  Is this
a fancy word for knowing different engine criteria?  Is it even a
viable way of doing it?  Is he about to waste his money?
</snip>

My experience with companies that specialize in "search engine placement" is
that they are _very_ shady.  Some places buy up whole bunches of domain names
that they get indexed.  If you pay enough money, they can href your site on
their sites (something that will get you higher in Google, for example).  All of
this comes as a recurring fee, however.  Also, sometimes they screw up and get
you kicked off a search engine for spamming the engine.  Try and get your domain
relisted on Yahoo after it gets kicked off... I'll be the first to wish you
luck.
What does pay, however, is understanding enough of the tricks so that you make
the right choices along the way.  Keywords need to be done correctly.  Working
with someone who understands how to maximize keywords without risking being
kicked off of search engines will definitely help.  There's software to do this
for you, although I feel that a person with creativity may have some better
ideas.  Check out http://www.web-gold.net/  I've heard good things about this
software from somebody who made money on doing pass-through sites (not the
highest form of web development... but we all know somebody... )
Your domain name is the single most important part of this whole scenario.  Some
people buy multiple domains and include hyphens between words
(http://www.a-travel-site.com).   Heh, I just guessed at that last one and it is
another domain name that points to hotelsTravel.com.  Notice the combo of tricks
in that name... the letter "a" first, and with the words separated by hyphens,
they are indexed by many search engines as individual words... "site" being a
keyword for web newbies ;)
I just bought a gift for someone from 918dayspa.com.  Why them?  I had a bunch
of choices online, but they were listed at the top of the list I saw simply due
to alpabetical order (I did a search on google and found a list of spas on
about.com... that list was alpa).  I went to their site first and was impressed
and chose to do business with them.  So, you too can do like the plumbers in the
phone book and name your company A1 All American Plumbing ;)

-Ron