[thelist] Flotsam and thensome

Sean Preston razorwise at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 09:14:46 CDT 2001

Hello All,

First, a general comment.  I'm pleased to have discovered this group earlier in the week and find
the user base both insightful AND affable, a rare combination to anyone that's been on the net for
a long time. So, I'll throw in my tip of the day, before I try to borrow your collective insight
*s*.

When designing sites, ultimately bandwidth and navigability are paramount.  Hence, Useit.com,
mentioned in a prior post, is an excellent resource, as is Phillip and Alex's Guide to Web
Publishing (http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/).  The later, a book by Phillip Greenspun, is
entirely online and worth the read, by both professional developers and those newer to the
industry.

Now speaking to my problem, I'm attempting to interface a legacy mainframe system (IBM CICS) and
am attempting to find a middleware solution to accomplish this.  It's for an intranet system and
the users are used to greenscreen response times (i.e. subsecond), hence I've gotta have speed.
On the front end, I've designed the navigability for speed, but upon testing several middleware
products (i.e. WebSphere *cringe*, ScreenSufer *wince*, and Crossplex *pretty good, but extremely
expensive*) I can't find the right one.  I've been continuing my research into PHP as I hear you
can link it straight to DB2, but I'm wondering what kind of response time I'll have.  Has anyone
done any work like that?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Most Sincerely,

Sean

*we are a product of our acronyms (i.e. html, js, xml, xhtml, cya, etc...)*