[thelist] Table Update Schedule Question

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Thu Apr 19 11:22:01 CDT 2001

Hi Folks,

I'm running into a "common" problem ... [at least I think it's probably
common in the Intranet reporting world] ... and was wondering what
alternatives y'all have used to get around it.

I've got a report that runs off a pretty good sized datafile.

That datafile needs to be updated several times a day - for discussion let's
say it gets updated at noon and again at midnight - every day.

I don't want users to see the report with "half updated" records.  I want
them to get the complete noon report or the complete midnight report.

Currently I'm taking the report "down" twice a day for about an hour each
time, while we update the database.  This is "confusing" some of my users
... and they are scattered across every time zone on the planet ... so I
don't have a clean 'update window'.

I'm looking for tricks, techniques, work-arounds, hacks, or [Goodness!]
actual solutions that you have used or can think of ...

Thanks!

RonL.

<I'll gladly pay my tip Tuesday for a .... today!>