[thelist] linux: user / permission chaos

Johnny Lam jlam at popcast.com
Thu Apr 19 11:25:06 CDT 2001

You mean you don't want him to be browsing through your machine? If that's
the case it might be very difficult to prevent because you will need to make
sure that all directories does not allow the "other" user from either
viewing, writing, and executing (chmod o-rwx).

This will have a negative effect because other users on your system will not
be able to view these directories unless they own the directory.

It looks like the user "userfoo" does not have a home directory at
/home/userfoo. Make sure its there. Also look in the /etc/passwd/ file and
see where the userfoo is mapped to what directory and what bash file. My
default shell is at "/bin/bash".

-Johnny