[thelist] Table Update Schedule Question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Apr 19 11:28:26 CDT 2001

> I've got a report that runs off a pretty good sized datafile.
> I don't want users to see the report with "half updated" records.
> I want them to get the complete noon report or the complete
> midnight report.  Currently I'm taking the report "down" twice
> a day for about an hour each time, while we update the database.

hi wimpey, er, ron

how difficult would it be to run the report off a "reporting" datafile?

you update the real datafile whenever you want, and as a last step, just
copy it over on top of the reporting datafile

this is obviously messy if it's a database with many tables involved in the
data retrieval, but still, you can use database utilities (see your dba) to
accomplish that...

rudy