[thelist] Table Update Schedule Answer

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Thu Apr 19 14:48:38 CDT 2001

Hi James - yep - I'm thinking in terms of a complete update ... [Although
I'm not entirely sure if the 'real system' uses a "flush and fill" or a "net
change" methodology.] {Same class, eh? Great! ... We can take turns sitting
in the corner.    ;-)   }

Hi Rudy,

Yeah - I caught what you were saying about always reporting off DataFileA.
Always loading data into DataFileB.  Then when DataFileB is completely
updated copying it onto DataFileA.

But I haven't personally played with those kinds of dba tools and utilities
... so it was making me a little nervous.  Since _I_ haven't done those
kinds of things, I don't know if this is a two minute process or a twenty
minute process ... so I worry about what problems come up, what happens
during the transition, transition times, request collisions during copying,
etc... [you know - the 'usual' things all your 'business' counterparts bring
up to you]

But it did get me thinking along the "stereo" database line ... and thinking
long enough to  transmutographize your suggestion into something a little
more comfortable for me (at least until I learn more and get some 'hand on'
with those other tools) ... Reporting off DataFileA until DataFileB is
completely updated ... then reporting off DataFileB until DataFileA is
completely updated. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

[Back when I worked as a primary research "consultant", we had a mantra
about "friendly techniques" ... if you can't explain it to the client - or
even if you can, but for whatever reason they aren't 'comfortable' with it
---- you can't use it.]  Your design is probably great.  But because of my
skill set/knowledge/experience (of lack thereof) ... I'm just more
comfortable with my 'twisted sister' version of it.  But it was still your
suggestion that 'flipped the switch' and got me thinking along the right
lines.

BTW - this is all in a data warehouse ... I'm not anywhere near the "systems
of record". [Thank Goodness!]

... and the users almost always notice when reports are late!  Heck I catch
hell if I add a new field or line to a report and it screws up someone's
Excel macro running off the report output ... even if _they_ requested the
report change!

<straightens where a tie might have been if he had been wearing one today
and cops a Rodney Dangerfield voice>Gratitude! .. I tell ya I don't get no
gratitude!</RD voice>

All in all ... It's still been a pretty good day.  Thanks!

RonL.