[thelist] Re: image slicing - not for the timid

J. Blanchard jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Mon Apr 23 10:27:16 CDT 2001

---
Message: 16
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:30:23 -0700
From: Cayley Vos <cvos at netpaths.net>
Subject: [thelist] image slicing - not for the timid

I must admit, i've come across a doosey.  I have a beautiful graphic created (by my designer) and
now I have to make it elastic for the web.  this is the kicker.  making a standard 800 pix wide site
from this is no problem.
This would make a good advanced problem for a web design class.  anyone that can help will get a
case of beer.

http://www.netlivemusic.com/images/nlm.gif

for anyone seriously interested (masochistic), I can provide a psd
--

Cayley Vos, Principal
---

Cayley,

Just perfromed a quick test of this, I actually approached this from a rather simple POV -- 4 total slices...
1st slice is left hand underneath "Home"
2nd slice is from the gutter between the left side and the middle section
3rd slice is a small sections between the 'tracks' and the 'Features' which can also be used as a table background image which will give you liquidity. (This slice is 1 pixel wide)
4th slice is from left side of 'Features" to the far right side.

Rather a simple approach using matching background color and given that there are straight lines. All baseline graphics can be used as table backgrounds in their respective cell, then add all text and pictures using CSS for positioning.

Jay Blanchard
Web Engineer
Thermon Industries
1.800.820.HEAT x327