[thelist] Finding Length/height/width of video. [pseudo OT]

Shaun M. Anderson ShaunAnderson at smarttech.com
Mon Apr 23 13:04:08 CDT 2001

Hi,

This might not be the place to ask this question, but I have to start
somewhere I guess.

What I'm trying to do is use ASP to get the length in seconds and the width
and height (in pixels) of different video clips.  The problem is complicated
by the fact that I'd like to do it for MOV's (primarily), .AVI, .RM (Maybe)
and MPEG.  I'm sure that when I figure them out that I'll need to do them
separately, depending on the file type.

I looked all over for an answer, but couldn't come up with anything.
(archives, 4 Guys, LearnASP, etc, etc).

I'm hoping that somebody else has tackled this before or knows where I could
get some information about it.  I found the QuickTime file format specs, and
it doesn't look like I've got enough programming experience to pull it off
by myself ;-)

The QuickTime specs are at:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/quicktime/qtdevdocs/QTFF/qtff.html

I'd like a pure ASP solution (no components, as I can't install them on my
live host, as in isn't Mine) but I don't think that I'll be that lucky.  I
could use components with PWS and update the main database every once in a
while.  It's just a pain to open up every file (about 6 per movie) and put
them into the database by hand.

This is a personal project (read: Money Loser, but I don't care), (movie
site with reviews, trailers, etc) that I've been trying to get off the
ground for a while now, and I've finally decided to get started. I've got
the database worked out, and I'm now writing to code to write the pages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shaun Anderson

<tip>
If you're creating a page for yourself, you should sit down and pretend that
you're one of your clients.

That way, you realize that if someone was asking you to do what you want for
them, you'd think to yourself that they're nuts, and tell them to think
smaller at first.
</tip>

But then again, nobody said "Go Small or Go Home"